Some CHANGE quotes from students in a graduate course I am teaching. Top ones for me, sharing with you here:.
."The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking. -Albert Einstein
"Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" Kennedy
"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but building the new." -Socrates
"..."to improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." Anonymous
“Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different.” Prince Caspian
“The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” Anonymous
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. " George Bernard Shaw
REF THE VIDEO HERE ...https://youtu.be/hER0Qp6QJNU (and by the way, this dude KNOWS LEADERSHIP! No disagreement with his words just adding some thought)
.I say AVOID titles, labeling, etc. PEOPLE are PEOPLE first and foremost!
Deal with the two basic LEADER fundamentals with every individual - 1) Relationship and 2) Accountability.
Don't let them off the hook as victims of previous poor leadership/parenting ...PEOPLE w/in all generations have had that excuse!
Go ahead study about em; nothing against being as smart as we can about our audience, our people, those we lead, etc.
JUST MY READ on it...AND as always will leave you with 'People don't care how much you know until first they know how much you care.'
Recent dialogue with Exec Leader team, led to these (7) bullets as the model for ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING BEHAVIORAL CHANGE - for sustained Leader-Development to work. Likely some may need a bit of clarification, but will toss it out here for your perusal; give me a call if I can fill in any blanks. Down further you will see some of the myths (1) uncovered...
1. MYTHS (dispelling)
2. ASSUMPTIONS (about who we are)
3. AWARENESS (motivation to change)
4. TARGETING (leadership definition)
5. CONVERSATIONS (vertical/horizontal, within sphere)
6. MINDSET CHANGED (continuous improvement internalized)
7. CULTURE IMPROVEMENT (when leaders change, so do people)
(1) MYTHS (dispelling) – just some of the myths that many in management have bought into, accepted, become numb to… These are written from the point of view of the Leader and/or Organizational Management:
· You are LEADING effectively
· You can grow Yourself (LEADERSHIP) on your own
· Smartest one in the room should be the LEADER
· LEADERS have the best ideas
· I can trust the Org (or my LEADER) to grow me
· There Is a LEADER-Development Process in place
· We have the Buy-in of our Folks
· My Boss knows LEADERSHIP
· People are your Most Valuable Resource (HINT – ‘should be’)
· Culture defines/creates LEADERSHIP
· People will tell you when you are Off-track
· Conflict is a Good Thing
· Some people like to work alone naturally
· Good People make Good Leaders
· There are inevitably a couple Bad Apples on every team (your Sphere)
· You should have All the Answers
· You won’t be the next ‘Peter’ (Peter Principle)
· You are a Good Listener
· Majority = Consensus
· LEADERSHIP ‘stuff’ is a priority on your Calendar
· Ignorance is a Bad Thing
· Opposition to my ideas = Enemy
· LEADERS must maintain that Fine Line (no go on Boss & Buddy)
· Management / HR hire Managers based on Solid Leadership
· Identifying/Resolving conflict, dealing with problem folks and addressing bad relationships on the team is happening
· Effective Communication is your biggest Issue. (HINT - Relationships are…)
· People Resist Change ‘naturally’…. (HINT - cop-out from Managers without tools).
There are more. Can you think of any others that are impacting your Leadership or the organizational leadership overall? IF these can be realized and awareness has set in, then and only then can/will real learning occur?