Every couple of years I pursue further defining LEADERSHIP into a set of competencies that could be used for my work/coaching with leaders.
I never attempt to state my list as the perfect list, just the best I can come up with after 20 yrs in the biz of LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT.
Individually as well as organizationally, there needs to be such a list/target. Rarely does such a target exist and even rarer is one really used to hire, grow, coach, correct, promote, etc.
Without a target, how do we measure leadership effectiveness? Of course this really explains a lot about the work-world and the void in real effective Leadership)!
So here’s my latest. If you have a moment to ponder LEADERSHIP, I would love to hear your thoughts about my ‘targeted list’?
· Ponder if the list is all inclusive?
· How do you rate YOU accordingly; how do others see you?
· Are you even seeking to grow YOU (and leaders you are responsible to grow)?
1. LEADERSHIP EFFECTIVENESS
2. RELATIONSHIPS (360 / horizontal / vertical)
3. BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
4. RESULTS (accountability, bottom line, get it done)
6. LEARNER (teacher, self-improvement, open)
8. ORG-SYSTEMS & PROCESS FOCUS
??? The BIG Q for all you Leaders is this: What does your target look like; not just ‘winging it’ are you?!?